Alex Dabic is a Canadian artist specializing in life-size, representational figure painting. Deeply rooted in the traditions of the 17th century Dutch Masters, Dabic’s work captures the introspective vulnerability of the human figure against the remnants of various urban strata. The influence of temporary interventions on rigid urban infrastructure allows him to portray a contemplative state in a fleeting moment.
Prior to receiving his BFA from York University, Dabic became the first recipient of the MacK Award for Figurative Realism, as well as two People’s Choice Portrait Awards. Having been exhibited through the Kingston Arts Council, York University, and the Art Gallery of Ontario, his work has found a place in several Private and Corporate art collections, while earning him two solo exhibitions, as well as contending spots in numerous National and International Painting Competitions.
• 2012 BFA (Hons) York University, Toronto, ON
• 2013 Epilogue. Samuel J. Zacks Gallery. Toronto, ON
Timeline. Eleanor Winters Gallery. Toronto, ON
• 2012 Sibilate: Artworks on Wood. Samuel J. Zacks Gallery. Toronto, ON
• 2010 Drawn to Your Inspiration. Gales Gallery. Toronto, ON
• 2014 Remnants. Abbozzo Gallery. Toronto, ON
The Immaculate Selfie. The Black Cat Gallery.
Toronto, ON The Artists’ Guild. J.E.H.
MacDonald House. Thornhill, ON
Canadian Masters Exhibition. Gallery Hittite.
From Where You Are Standing. PINC Gallery.
Reversion. Moniker Gallery. Toronto, ONInspire. Main Gallery.
Queen Elizabeth Park Centre. Oakville, ON
Spitting Image. Moniker Gallery. Toronto, ON
• 2013 The Portrait in Context. Project Gallery. Toronto, ON
Exhibition Series 6: Finale. Moniker Gallery. Toronto, ON
Juried Salon Prize. Studio 22. Kingston, ON
Artists of the Gallery (Art Gallery of Ontario). Hangman Gallery.
• 2012 100 Faces of Cambridge. Cambridge City Hall. Cambridge, ON
The State of Things. Artscape: Triangle Gallery. Toronto, ON
Psychopomp. Goldfarb Center for Fine Arts, York University. Toronto,
• 2011 Art in the Park. Oakville Art Society. Coronation Park. Oakville, ON
We Are Here To. Twist Gallery. Toronto, ON
Old Uncle Grampy. Sleeping Giant Gallery. Toronto, ON
FINE ART INSTRUCTOR
• 2013 – Present Queen Elizabeth Park Centre. Oakville, ON
• 2012 – Present York University. Toronto, ON
• 2013 EMA Partners International. Toronto, ON
• 2012 – Present Art Gallery of Ontario. Toronto, ON
• 2013 Top 40. Juried Salon Prize. Studio 22
• 2012 MacK Figurative Drawing Award. York University
Third Prize. People’s Choice Award. Visual Arts Students Association. York
• 2011 First Prize. People’s Choice Portrait Award. Sleeping Giant Gallery
• E.M.A. Partners International. Toronto, ON
PUBLICATIONS AND ADDITIONAL PRESS
• 2013 York Connect: Alex Dabic
CHRY 105.5 FM. Interview by Christian Deo
Ordering online? Click here for our shipping guarantee.